Monday 8 September 2014

Cpsa awards

I
In march this year I was very Unexpectantly nominated for one of these very prestigious awards , I hadn't been shooting registered competitions for even a year and when i received my invite in the post I was shocked and very excited . Even more amazing was that I won the award and it's safe to say it really put me on a pedestal to perform this year . The ceremony itself was full of people I didn't know apart from seeing their faces in the pull magazines but after shooting a full year now I would know exactly who they are.

So here's my interpretation and opinions on each of this years categories; forgive me for being a little biased however I am only being honest ...

School of the year: I have not come across any schools in my shooting experience however I would class Phillip thorold a shooting academy a school of shooting but not sure that counts ? The academy has done amazing and it's nice to see it reaping the rewards with so many young shots getting podiums and wearing thise very recogniseable orange and black hats.

Initiative of the year  : for me without a shadow of a doubt this has to be Julie Sperling and Nicola herons efforts getting a group of disabled shooters over to Germany from scratch in such a short amount of time to represent GB to attempt getting clay shooting in the Paralympics . This would have not happened without the efforts of all in our clay shooting family that we all love so dearly and without Matt Rutherfords shootclay forum auction and the crowd funding. . So many people pulled together to raise huge sums it is refreshing and I was gob smacked that the figure was achieved and surpassed . 

Volunteer of the year : for their efforts above I am going to go joint Julie Sperling, Nicola heron and Matt Rutherford 

Special contribution award : I am now going to pick one if the above and it has to be Nicola . She was so focused and driven on the project and still is. Shooting needs more of her. .

Ground of the year : It's hard to make a decision as in my DSG capacity we go to so many grounds and are so warmly welcomed of all these the 2 I have most enjoyed this year are dartford and Orston  . Practise wise I like Cambridge a lot and have my coaching there with phill Gray. However for my personal  registered shooting experience and locality I have to go with barrow Heath . The targets are always different and testing and I always struggle to get a good score there which means I am learning something. Phil and Marie are always welcoming and recognise their local shots also which is refreshing . Those 4 for me take some beating.

Disabled shooter of the year : it's a tough one to suggest anyone however there has been some top shooting this year. Sitting wise there are 4 people that must be considered ; Paul Bailey who won the world sportrap earlier in the year after a shootoff with Adrian last. Paul has also medaled at the British open sporting and sportrap. Alec Sperling who has excelled in OT this year but on top of this won the English skeet at bisley. Newbie Darrel white who has shot skeet and dtl particularly well his year and won the British open wih an incredible 90 and finally my good friend Adrian last who has continued to shoot well winning the English open sporting , been runner up at both skeet championships , runner up in the world sportrap and medaled at the British open this weekend. He's so been consistent in the DSG shoots throughout the year.
Standing wise I am sure Andy Womble from the OT will be a contender however Jamie Gutteridge and graham Evans have shot well this year both in disabled and able bodied categories . Jamie has won the British and worlds sporting and graham the british and world sportrAp both putting in good scores. The one to mention for me is mick Kirby though who has entered the British and English opens for sporting and skeet. His enthusiasm and desire should be noted .

Young shot: whilst I would love to say Joshy after him improving immensely this year gong from an average c class shot , into a top b class shot I have to go with his suffolk team mate Aaron Harvey who for me he just pips Taylor Hedgecock . Aaron's shooting superb at the moment and I was proud to shoot off alongside him. At the British last weekend and get to wear his dads pilla glasses for the weekend after my own glasses were taken.

Coach of the year : whilst Philip thorold has been amazing with the 2 lads above this is an easy decision for me and is phill Gray . He has improved josh and I as shooters this year with just a handful of lessons and he has to take a lot of the credit. All you need to do is look at our scores . They say it all. His professional beyond his years at the same time he makes you feel comfortable and at one stage I felt unbeatable this year because of him .

Shooter of the year:  there's a few for me . Steve Scott was awesome on the TV at the commonwealth games , Joy Hirons in the ladies skeet has been untouchable and is also a great person with it. But sporting wise there have been 3 terrific shooters and well known names and hope one of then wins the accolade ; sir George , mark winser and ed solomons. George was a class above the rest at the worlds , an mark and ed hasve had their share also at majors this year . I would like to see mark get it as he had a real purple patch and it takes someone special To win then win again in a short time.

Hopefully I haven't offended anyone and not sent anyone to sleep :)

No comments:

Post a Comment